Married 30 years with 3 Children:
Sean – 29
Carleigh – 25
Meagan – 18
CMA Major Market Personality of the Year Winner: 2001, 2003. Nominee: 2000
CMA Large Market Personality of the Year Winner:1996. Nominee: 1995
**The first broadcaster to win the CMA Broadcast Personality Award 3 times**
Billboard Magazine Air Personality of the Year Winner:2001. Nominee; 1998
Academy of Country Music Personality of the Year nominee: 2005
Radio & Records Magazine Country Air Personality of the Year Nominee: 2002-03
CMA member: Lifetime Member
Academy of Country Music Member:1991-1994, 2002-present
Host of Westwood One’s Country Six Pack Specials 1999-2004
Country Music Field Reporter, WTSP-TV (CBS) WFLA-TV (NBC), Tampa
Co-Host “Hot Country Hits” on WFTS-TV (ABC): 2001-2002
Halftime Host: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 1998-2003, 2005-2009
Host of the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning’s “Drive on Ice”: 1999-2003
Founding member of “Bit-kicker” morning show prep network 1994-2009
Skip Mahaffey has been in broadcasting for over 25 years in the Country format including:
• WFUS – Tampa, FL 2005-2009
• WQYK – Tampa, FL, 1998-2005
• WCOL – Columbus, OH, 1994-1998.
• KSON – San Diego, CA, 1992-1993.
• KIIM-KCUB – Tucson, AZ, 1984-1986, 1987-1989.
• KVOO – Tulsa, OK, 1983-1984, 2010-2011.
Radio Experience Outside Country:
• St. Louis-KYKY, Phoenix-KMXX and Los Angeles-KYSR
• “Skip’s Kids” – A group that provides VIP trips for underprivileged children of Tampa Bay to places like Sea World, Disney World, Adventure Island, Busch Gardens and more.
• Federal Bureau of Investigation – Graduate of the FBI Citizen’s Academy. Winner of the prestigious Director’s Community Leadership Award.
• “Good Kid of the Week” – A weekly on air feature where local children are acknowledged and awarded for good deeds, heroic actions, positive behavior or outstanding accomplishments.
• St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital – Helped raise over $1,000,000 in four years.Served as organizer and host of the Second Chance Prom, a one evening event that raised over $12,500. Pennies For St. Jude- As part of the Radio-thon, collected 1.4 million pennies in 8 days.
• The Angelus- 1999-2003. As emcee of the annual Charlie Daniels concert, raised over $1,000,000 for a local home for severely handicapped children and adults.
• “Postcards From Home” – In the past 9 years, sent over 275,000 holiday postcards from listeners to troops overseas
• Shriner’s Hospital – Through various station and hospital events raised over $25,000 for the local Shriner’s Hospital.
• Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office – (Honorary Deputy). A weekly on-air segment devoted to crime prevention and other law enforcement issues. Emcee for annual event with over 20,000 bicycle helmets given to Bay area children.Host HCSO Memorial Services 2002-2008. Host/emcee for HCSO promotional ceremonies, 2003-2009.
• Police Unity Tour – Participated in a 3-day cycling event to raise money for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington D.C. 2004-2009.
•Pasco County Sheriff’s Office – (Honorary Deputy) Emcee Sheriff’s Sporting Clay event to benefit Sheriff’s youth Ranch 2002-2004
Pinellas County S.P.C.A. – Weekly on air feature devoted to adoption of pets and pet issues.
• Adventures for Wish Kids – Helped raise over $750,000 in one year to provide family activities to children with life threatening illness’ in three states.
• Honors and Other Notables – Emceed the Change of Command ceremony at US Central Command for Gen. Tommy Franks; Emcee for “Freedom Concert” for US Central Command broadcast to US Military installations over the world; Honorary Deputy Hillsborough and Pasco Counties; Honorary Sargeant, United States Army Recruiting Battalion, Tampa.
• Other Agencies and Charities Include: Pasco County Chamber of Commerce, Metropolitan Ministries, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America, Easter Seals, American Cancer Society, Alpha House, Habitat for Humanity, Pinellas and Hillsborough Country Public Schools, The Florida Aquarium, FFA Tampa Bay.